Saturday, November 15, 2008

My first experience in SL: What does SL mean?


I knew the training with muvenation is about integrating ICT in education. This has been my interest as a teacher of English for sometime. I knew how important technology is to facilitate learning, but I didn't know anything about the second life and how it would make my job easier and more efficient. I saw people in the forums talking about it, and I understood that "the second life" was simply refered to ICT generally speaking. As the course proceeds, I discovered through the given activities and the help of some participants that it is something more or less different. Not exactly as I had thought.
Th story of the second life began then. The begining was with some frustration. A part of it was due to my computer which did not use to support such a software because of hardware problem. I couldn't have access to SL. Time goes on and I felt I was late. I decided to buy a lap top which solved the problem. Now I could have SL on my computer. The second part was due to technical problems I encountered in SL. I was fascinated the first time I got there. I saw many people moving and talking to each other, changing clothes, changing appearance..., but I failed to understand. Many questions came to my mind. What should I do? What am I supposed to do here? Am I in the right place? Can I get someone whom I know? Can anyone help me here? But does all this stuff serve in education? What is the relationship between teaching and learning and the second life? I stopped for a while trying to understand. I realized that there must of course be some link and that the amazing and attractive world would serve in a sense or another in education. "This could be manupilated in many different ways" I said to myself.
Then, I started touching keys on the keyboard and I understood how I could move. I decided to ask for help. One of the people there must give some help! That is how I discovered how to move to muvenation island as I was somewhere I didn't know.
On the the muvenation island I met very helpful people who gave help with much patience, clear instructions and professionalism. Thanks to them I learned then how to create my avatar, change its clothes and apparance.I learned how to search for things, teleport, chat with the others in the island...
I guess that the frustration is over now. It is fascinating in fact, but all that it needs is committment and curiosity. The more I get there the more I learn.
Still, how the second life could practically be used in education and how it would make learning much easier and motivating is the main issue I am eager to discover.

No comments: